Monday, January 4, 2010

3 idiots

After the latest controversy involving Chetan Bhagat and the movie 3 idiots I decided to watch the movie. I am a big fan of Chetan Bhagat, Raju Hirani and Amir Khan so it was all the more exciting to see the triumvirate work piece. As expected it is a poignant movie and I throughly enjoyed it. However I noticed that Chetan Bhagat's name was not mentioned anywhere in the initial credit. The movie is not a copy of the book and all credit goes to Hirani for giving exciting twist to the story but one can clearly see that broadly the plot is from Five Point Someone. In fact the main characters of the movie are from the book. After watching the first half I was wondering what is the controversy all about. its out and out Chetan Bhagat novel. In the second half its Hirani's work.
It pained me to see that a book which has almost become like a bible for youth has not being given due credit. In foreign films acknowledgement is given to books as "original adaptation" but in India we always see these controversies surrounding "inspired" films. There is no shame if one is inspired by a book, infact its a brilliant attempt to make a movie on one but denying the same is shameful. Both Hirani and Bhagat are icons and they dont need any publicity so this fight over credit leaves a bad taste in mouth.Five point Someone is already a famous book so Bhagat dosent have to cry foul to get attention. probably he should have cleared the terms right at the begining.
With the recent developments of Musicians regarding their royalty against the recording companies I hope our entertainment industry becomes more liberal. in future we can see many beautiful movies inspired by books only when we respect creativity. I am all for Chetan Bhagat and I wish he gets his share of credit.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a die-hard optimist currently staying in Mumbai , working as an Investment Banker. Lately I discovered writing is like therapy for me. It works every time I pen down my thoughts. I am a believer of Nichiren Daishonin Buddhism and have discovered that the true essence of our living is happiness. So if you ask me what do I do. I would say I am trying to be happy. As they say its Pursuit of HappinessJ I like to read books, every type of books as long as I gain something from them. I love to travel and plan to see as many places as possible. I love to spend time with my family. Nothing gives more joy than coming back to a loving family and I love adventure be it adventure sports or backpacking to an unknown place. Life for me, is unfolding all limitless possibilities.

Followers